Thursday, January 04, 2007

 

Sailing in Ha Long Bay

I have just experienced the second real high point of my trip, a cruise in Ha Long Bay. Ha Long Bay is located 40 km from Hanoi and has also been twice declared a UNESCO World Heritage site. It's a beautiful bay with almost two thousand limestone formations rising from the South China Sea. I took a two day tour with one night spent in a cabin on the boat moored close to a limestone formation.

The days we sailed were overcast with lots of fog which put me in mind of pirates and bandits. In 1320, a famous Vietnamese general thwarted attempts by Kublai Khan to invade Vietnam via Ha Long Bay by placing sharp bamboo poles in the misty waters which effectively destroyed Kublai's fleet. The bamboo poles are on display in one of Hanoi's museums. During the trip, we stopped at a huge cave where we observed amazing stalagtites and stalagmites. Unbelieveably, one was an exact replica of a penis. The tour guide claimed it was completely natural and not carved but I have my strong doubts. (When I can, I will upload a photo and let you be the judge.) Miraculously later, we sailed past a limestone formation which was natural and in the spitting image of a penis, complete with testicles. (I will also upload a photo of it.) The god of Ha Long Bay is definitely a man!

About 12 of us spent the night on the ship. I slept like a log. Luckily the boat was anchored so there was no rocking. All around the bay, I could see the twinkling lights of hundreds of moored boats. A bunch of my brave companions woke at 6:30 a.m. to go kayaking. I took a pass on this.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?