Sunday, November 05, 2006

 

The Countdown has now begun! Southeast Asia here I come

Okay. Everything seems to be ready. Plane tickets, cash, traveller's cheques, immodium, guidebooks, etc. I can't believe I'm about to leave after a month of intense preparation. Initially, my attitude towards the trip was 'buy a ticket, throw a few things in a backpack, catch a flight and...ADVENTURE, ADVENTURE, ADVENTURE'.

Lovely! Romantic! Intrepid traveller, blah, blah, blah. I did a similar thing 17 years ago when I went to eastern and southern Africa for a year. The only complication was that I didn't hold up well then and I was younger, more foolish and hardy: bedbugs, mouldy rat-trap hotel rooms, shady fellow travellers dispensing less than perfect advice, and a wicked case of malaria which landed me in an African hospital and almost killed me. So...major attitude adjustment for southeast Asia.

This time it will be nice hotels, lots of time on the beach, air-conditioned buses and trains, lots of sipping of cocktails with little umbrellas, daily massages, etc. Some of my friends say that I should experience the real Asia by backpacking and staying in low-budget hotels which are by all accounts decent and clean in this part of the world. I will walk past these hotels and perhaps even drop in and ask to see a hotel room. I will admire the austerity and cleanliness and then... say "thank you very much" and hightail my butt out of there and back into the five-star hotel room waiting for me, complete with bathrobe, slippers and turn-down service. Hey, you only live once!

Just my luck, tomorrow the new EU airport security regulations come into effect. Cathay Pacific Airlines has advised me to show up at the airport at least three hours in advance (more is better) and advised me not to bring bottled water, toothpaste, and perfume in my carry-on luggage.

First stop: Hong Kong!

Comments:
Go go go girl! But do not be afraid to get of the beaten track some time; Asia is definitely not Africa. Much saver travelling there.

Make sure to hook up with some of the thousands of young Asian English students that are happy to show you the few still undiscovered places of the region. (They often only want to be able to practice their English.)

Enjoy your journey and make sure to tell us all about it.

Warmest
Kitty
 
I know you're going to have a great time. I'm really excited for you. Keep us all posted and let us know where you are. Fred sends his best wishes!
 
Fancy hotels and full service, way to go girl! Vacation is not only sightseeing but also living the high life and being treated as a Princess…this is what souvenirs are made of!

Bon voyage!
 
I am so proud of you charting unknown territory...but I guess that is what you are known for. Take lots of photos and I am sure you will bring home lots of souvenirs...please do not forget Alexander's post cards as I think he has one from everywhere you have been...enjoy every moment and stay safe...love Shelley, Alexander and Super Diaper Baby.:)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?